Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

So many games, so little time.

Sometimes it sucks being an adult. I remember thinking as a child, that I wanted to be grown up so I could drive a car, drink a beer, and buy any video game I wanted. Well the universe has a funny way about it. Now that I am an adult, I have found that most of the things I yearned for as a kid came with a price. Driving a car means having to pay for one, the gas to go in it, as well as insurance for it. Drinking a beer is easy enough, minus the occasional hang over. And video games.....well....let's talk about them.

As a child of the 80's I grew up with Nintendo. Oh sure there were other consoles out there (Sega, Atari, ColecoVision, etc.), but Nintendo was the one that was the most popular amongst my circle of friends. With so many friends having Nintendo, it was fairly common to for one of them to have a new game every so often. And it was fairly common for us to all pine after something new. I remember wanting Castlevania and Captain Skyhawk so bad, and was delighted when I finally got them. I remember thinking that as an adult, I would no longer have to wait until a birthday or Christmas to ask for a new game, I could simply buy it myself whenever I felt the urge to do so. Little did I know then, that there would be such an explosion in console technology, and that there would be such a vast number of games and consoles to choose from.

Right now I am playing no fewer than 12 video games. I don't play them all at once, since that would be impossible, but I currently have saved games for at least a dozen games on multiple consoles. This probably wouldn't be as big of a problem if I didn't have to do things like go to work, eat, or have any kind of a social life. Oh yeah, and it's also it has been summer until recently, and that means fishing season...sigh...

So why am I playing so many games right now? Because my tastes and likes change regularly enough to warrant a change in what I am playing. Luckily for me I have a PSP and OFW signed console emulators that allow me to play the older console games for no cost. I have a large library of saved games for NES, SNES, GBA, Game Boy and The Game Boy Color. I would estimate that I have at least a dozen games on those old systems alone, and find myself adding to the list from time to time.

I am not just a fan of old consoles either. Even though I primarily write about older games from the classic consoles, I do enjoy new games on the newer systems. I have at least a half a dozen game saves on my PS3 for titles such as Saints Row 4, and Infamous. I am also currently playing a few games on the Wii, including Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Yeah I realize most of the games on the newer consoles are ones that have been out for a while. But as with most things in life, I sometimes have other obligations to meet, so I don't always wait around until after midnight to get a game on it's release date. I usually get them later based off of recommendations from friends.

Well that's all from me for now....I should get back to playing games....that is if I can decide what game to play.....



No comments:

Post a Comment